Excavations of the Baths at Roman Carsulae
June 16 - July 27, 2013
Director: Jane K. Whitehead, Valdosta State University
- The field program welcomes both students and volunteers. No excavation experience is necessary, only an enthusiasm for archaeology and the ability to work hard in rigorous conditions. Participants are instructed in excavation strategies, techniques and recording, handling and conservation of artifacts, drafting of site plans and analytical rendering. Minimum age for participation is 16 years. Minimum length of stay is 3 weeks. We encourage participation in the full six-week program as it allows one to experience all stages of an excavation.
- Participants work in the field Monday through Friday from 5AM to noon. We are most fortunate to have a cafe on the site where one can enjoy a cappuccino or buy a snack during our mid-morning break. After lunch and a well-earned siesta, afternoons are spent in the lab processing each day's finds. Our lab is located in the Medieval monastery of San Giovanni Battista in San Gemini. On most days we process our finds on a balcony with views of the beautiful Umbrian countryside. Afternoon activities include cleaning artifacts, recording, completing daily logs and other forms, attending classes or lectures, working with our conservators, and an occasional field trip. Weekends are open for travel or relaxation (except for Sunday July 21st when all hands are needed at the site for our public presentation). Weekend outings to nearby tourist or archaeological sites are often offered.
- Accommodations and Meals
- The excavation team stays in the tiny walled Umbrian hill town of San Gemini at the historic hotel, Albergo Duomo, a former palazzo that served as a summer residence in the 18th century. Each room holds three to four people with private bath and air conditioning. Free wireless internet is available in the hotel's public rooms. We eat our meals family style in the elegant dining room of the hotel.
- Cost and Credit
- The cost to participate in the field program is $850 per week. This program fee includes shared room, breakfast daily, and lunch and dinner five days a week (from Sunday dinner through Friday lunch). All equipment is provided as is daily transportation to and from the site. Flights and ground transportation to and from San Gemini are the responsibility of the participant.
We are offering credit through Columbia University for an additional fee. For more information contact us at the program email address below.
- Contact Information
- If you have specific questions about the program, please email the excavation coordinators, Wendy Hallinan & Ellen Stewart, at email@example.com.
Dr. Jane Whitehead can be reached by:
Prof. Jane Whitehead
Dept. of Modern and Classical Languages
Valdosta State University
Valdosta, GA 31698