TROMBONE STUDIO NEWS
Email Dr. Farwell with other news from alumni
- Tim Hilgert wins VSO concerto competition with Frank Martin's
"Ballade" and will perform in March-08 with the VSO
- Chuck Kluball wins 2007 Trombone Toss and is the second year in
a row the toss has been won by a freshman
- Dr. Farwell represents USA with CTQ at 1st International
Trombone Festival in Bejing, China, 2007
- Dr. Farwell performs with CTQ at 1st South American Trombone
Festival in Brasilia, Brazil
- Tim Hilgert wins National High School Solo Competition in
Toronto for MTNA
- Chris Crenshaw wins position with Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra
with Winton Marsalis
- Jonathan Lacey with Mr. Bass Trombone-George Roberts at ITF 05
in New Orleans
- Chris Crenshaw accepts offer to attend The Julliard School and
begins Graduate study with Wycliffe Gordon this fall!
- Dr. Farwell assisted at the Getzen booth for the International
Trombone Festival in May of 2005
- Tim Hilgert-Valdosta High School student of Dr. Farwell,
performs at this summer's Peach State Summer Theatre Festival which
has been permanently moved from Jekyll Island to Valdosta
- Dr. Farwell set to perform with the China Spring Middle School
Band, near Waco, TX in May of 2005
- Dr. Farwell will give a lecture recital in Madrid, Spain in June
for the International College Music Society Conference
- Chris Crenshaw selected as Outstanding Student for College of
Arts Honors Day Awards 2005
- Dr. Farwell performs joint recital at ABAC with Dr. Johnson, Dr.
Morris, Mr. Campiglia and our new bass teacher Mr. Donavan Stokes
- Dr. Farwell performs at 14th Annual Electroacoustic Music
Festival in Gainesville, FL with a trombone quartet playing the
music of William Kleinsasser
- Dr. Farwell completes successful March 2005 tour with CTQ.
Continental Trombone Quartet performs five recitals in four days in
Nebraska and Missouri performing at University of Nebraska at
Omaha, Hastings College, Nebraska, Great Plains CMS Regional
Conference at William Jewell College in Liberty, Missouri and at
University of Missouri at Columbia, MO
- Chris Crenshaw selected as Outstanding Musician for Music
Department Honors Day Awards 2005
- Jonathan Lacey won the bass trombone position with the Rome,
Italy Summer Festival Orchestra for summer of 2005
- Chris Crenshaw accepted into Graduate Programs in Jazz Studies
at The Julliard School, Manhattan and Rutgers
- Chris Crenshaw was selected as Honorable Mention for the
2005 ITA Edwards/Jazz Solo Competition
- Dr. Farwell selected to appear as soloist with Albany Symphony
for October concert in 2005. He will perform the Darius Milhaud
"Winter Concerto" with the orchestra. More news about this as
the concert dates are set for next year!
- Joey Mix is still sailing
the high seas: Joey is currently playing on the Sapphire Princess in
Asia and loving it-he signed up for another tour and should be back
in the States in January of 2006.
- Marcus Lewis is back on land after spending a year on the cruise
ships. He will spend the spring in Valdosta playing with some
groups and getting his land legs back, taking arranging and lessons.
- Jazz Ensemble and Wind Ensemble both performed at the
January 2005 GMEA Conference
- Tim Hilgert-sophomore in high school-member of Concert Band
&Trombone Choir wins 4th Chair in All-State Jazz Band
- CTQ invited to perform at International Association of Jazz Educator's
Conference in Long Beach, CA, Jan. 05
- CTQ Slated for March 2005 performances at U of Nebraska at
Omaha, Hasting College, U of Missouri at Columbia, and at the CMS
Mid-West Regional Conference at William Jewell College
- Jonathan Lacey selected for All-College Band on euphonium
- Chris Crenshaw was accepted into Rutgers Jazz Studies program
for Masters degree program
- Chris Crenshaw senior recital, 11/3/04
- Dr. Farwell to appear as guest artist in recital and
masterclasses at Luther College in Iowa in February 05
- Dr. Farwell gave guest artist recital at Drake University in Des
Moines Iowa in November 04
- Dr. Farwell gives a guest artist recital 9/3 at Concordia University in
Ann Arbor, MI
- Dr. Farwell fall faculty recital at VSU, 9/9 with VSU Faculty Brass
Quintet and Chris Crenshaw special guest
- Dr. Farwell to give guest artist recital and masterclasses at Drake
University in Des Moines, IA; 11/21
- Andrew Hill completes his MME this summer-new Assistant
Director of Bands at Valdosta HS
- Chris Crenshaw performs at
Jekyll Island Summer
Theatre in summer of 2004-Georgia State Summer Theatre slated to move
permanently to Valdosta-watch for details about a trombone opening
for summer 05.
- Chris Crenshaw winner of the 2004 ETW Jazz Solo Competition!
- Chris Crenshaw honorable mention for 2004 Rosolino Solo Jazz Competition!
- Marcus Lewis now playing on Celebrity Cruise lines!
- Wes Babcock accepted performance assistantship at University of New Mexico-good
- Aaron Roth had a composition selected for performance at University of
Iowa for the Society of Composers Student National Conference-Aaron graduated spring
of 2004 with the BM in Composition-1st trombone graduate under the
composition degree track! Aaron now living in Cleveland Ohio and applying to
enter Cleveland Institute of Music in fall 05.
- Andrew Hill won the Valdosta Symphony Orchestra Concerto Competition with
an aria and sang with the VSO in April 05.
- Christine Mattingly is back in Georgia and has accepted a position as
Director of Bands at Lovejoy Middle School.
- Nathan NeSmith was recently selected to enter the Navy Intelligence
Officer training program
- Joey Mix is back serving as band leader aboard various cruise ships and slated to tour the world on the Celebrity Cruise Line