Home > Administrative Offices > Constituent
Progression, Retention, Dismissal and Readmissions Policies
- A 3.00 cumulative grade point average (GPA) is required for graduation. No grade below “C” will be credited toward the M.S. degree with a major in sociology.
- Students will be dismissed from the M.S. program if they accumulate three or more academic deficiency points. A grade of “C” (while it will be credited toward the M.S. degree) equals one deficiency point. A grade of “D” (which will not be credited toward the M.S. degree) equals two deficiency points. A grade of “F,” “U,”or “WF” (none of which will be credited toward the M.S. degree) equals three deficiency points.
- A student must apply for readmission. Readmission is not guaranteed. A student must wait a minimum of two semesters before applying for readmission. If the student has deficiencies in core courses (SOCI 7011, 7012, 7021, 7022, or 7050), the student must retake only those core courses that have deficiencies until the number of deficiency points is fewer than or equal to two. If the student has deficiencies in elective hours (whether sociology courses or courses from any other program), the student shall take only SOCI electives until the number of deficiency points is fewer than three. No elective hours outside of sociology will be accepted to make up deficiency points.
- No more than 6 semester hours of academic work may be transferred from another institution into a master’s-level graduate program. Transfer credit will be evaluated after admission, by the academic department. To be eligible, credit must be no more than seven years old prior to completion of the degree.
- The maximum time allowed for completion of the master’s degree is seven calendar years. No work completed more than seven years prior to degree completion will be accepted toward the degree, except with special permission from the student’s major professor and the Head of the Department of Sociology, Anthropology, and Criminal Justice and approval from the Dean of the Graduate School.