VSU Strategic Planning
Planning is a process of identifying, recording, and tracking the progression of our organizational goals. To do this, we utilize several planning components at Valdosta State University. These components are united with our campus community through the Strategic Planning Committee and the Planning and Budget Council, which serve as campus information conduits and advisory groups to the President. The Planning and Budget Council is part of our progression towards a year-round planning process that embraces creativity and collaboration.
The University System of Georgia requires that Valdosta State University "...have a strategic planning process that maintains a current strategic plan in which institutional priorities are defined and through which the institution’s mission is carried out in accordance with the strategic directions and guiding principles established by the Board of Regents. The faculty and staff of each institution shall be involved in developing the planning process and shall be included in the structure by which the plan is implemented." [Source: Board of Regents Policy Manual Section 2.9].
Our Planning Components
Our Strategic Plan is the overarching document that captures what we hope to accomplish from a broad perspective. The Master Plan is the document approved by the Board of Regents which outlines our projected campus needs in terms of our physical and functional relationships. The Budget Plan is approved by Board of Regents for a given fiscal year and includes additional Initiative requests supported by strategic funds as approved through the Planning and Budget Council (PBC). The Facilities Plan is managed by our Facilities Planning Advisory group. This group is responsible for managing the work flow of our physical growth; including requests for renovations and space usage changes, as well as implementation Master Plan construction projects. The External Plan refers to the work of the Division of University Advancement, which coordinates alumni outreach, fundraising, and the University Foundation. Each of these components plays a crucial part in our overall planning effort at VSU.
VSU Strategic Planning 2013
This is an exciting time to be at Valdosta State University! With a new university president, we are ready to begin the important task of building our new University Strategic Plan. The University Strategic Planning Committee consists of broad representation from our University and community. These committee members will guide strategic planning efforts to include design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of goals.
Documents will be posted to this web page and opportunities for your input will be requested at various intervals during the process. Your role in planning at VSU is to participate in this challenging process by setting lofty goals but balancing them with realistic expectations. Envision how you can be a part of progress within the university and work to accomplish that within your unit.
- Strategic Planning Meetings: Schedule for February 11-14, 2013 (PDF)
- Strategic Planning Meetings: Participants for February 11-14, 2013 (PDF)
- Strategic Planning Retreat: Valdosta/Lowndes County Community Invited Participants for March 27, 2013 (PDF)
- Strategic Planning Retreat: VSU Employees/Campus Invited Participants for March 27, 2013 (PDF)
- VSU Strategic Planning Survey Results (PDF). Survey was open from April 29-May 10, 2013.
- Strategic Plan 2013-2019 Draft for Comment (PDF).
- Online Feedback Form for Strategic Plan 2013-2019 Draft. Feedback accepted July 11-26, 2013.
- Strategic Plan 2013-2019 (final PDF). Posted September 17, 2013.
During this planning process, your ideas and suggestions are welcomed. Send them to one of the following individuals:
- Mr. Russ Mast, Committee Co-Chair, Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
- Dr. David C. Danahar, Committee Co-Chair, Interim Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Committee members: Dr. Michael Black, Mr. Stanley Jones, Dr. Aubrey Fowler, Dr. Darrell Ross, Dr. Mike Savoie, Dr. Jay Rickman, Ms. Traycee Martin, Dr. Alan Bernstein, Ms. Shannon McGee, Ms. Bonnie Martin, Dr. Lorraine Schmertzing, Mr. Brian Haugabrook
Previous VSU Strategic Plans
- VSU Strategic Plan 2011-2016 | Strategic Planning Overview September 2010 (PowerPoint)
- VSU 2006-2011 Strategic Planning Goals - "5 Years, 5 Goals" | Action Steps by Goal
- VSU 2002 Strategic Planning Goals | Action Steps by Goal
USG Strategic Planning
- University System of Georgia Strategic Plan
- USG Annual Strategic Plan Report - FY2009
- State of Georgia Strategic Planning
Page revised October 2, 2013.