Prior Learning Assessment Resources for Students
Materials related to the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) process are provided here for students to identify courses that are available through PLA. The files linked from this page will also provide information about the assessment of portfolios.
|Students can earn credit for the following courses through Prior Learning Assessment (PLA):|
|For more information please contact Dr. Jerry Merwin at 229-253-2873 or by email.|
- Students must meet with a nursing advisor before permission is given to attempt nursing PLA.
- Any student attempting PLA through portfolio submission must have an appropriate background of experience in the area specified by a particular course (EX: Community Health courses require some background in community health nursing care).
- The number of years of experience required for nurses is now three (3) years (approximately 6,000 hours). The previous rule was five (5) years.
- A letter of Proof of Experience is required.
- A hard copy portfolio is required with two (2) CD copies (one for Nursing and one for PLA Department).
- Residency Requirements for VSU require students to have at least thirty (30) hours of courses taken through VSU. PLA does meet residency requirement rules.