Prior Learning Assessment Resources
Materials related to the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) process are provided here for students and for those faculty, administrators, and others involved in the assessment of portfolios at Valdosta State University (VSU) and within the University System of Georgia.
- On this page are copies of assessment tools developed for specific courses at VSU.
- Locate handouts prepared for the June 22-23, 2009, USG Adult Learning Consortium Workshop on the Faculty Assessor Training Resources page.
- We also provide copies of presentations that have been used to explain PLA within VSU and to others in the University System of Georgia.
- View presentations about the PLA Project from the 2007 and 2008 CAEL International Conferences.
|Information for Assessors:||Evaluation Template|
|Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Assessors|
|PLA Credit Approval Short Form (Short form for one or two courses)|
|PLA Credit Approval Long Form (Long form for three or more courses)|
|Page design by Jerry Merwin; updating by Jerry Merwin and Patricia Hinton.|
*Comments about Nursing courses and PLA:
- Students must meet with a nursing advisor before permission is given to attempt nursing PLA.
- Any student attempting PLA through portfolio submission must have an appropriate background of experience in the area specified by a particular course (EX: Community Health courses require some background in community health nursing care).
- The number of years of experience required for nurses is now three (3) years (approximately 6,000 hours). The previous rule was five (5) years.
- A letter of Proof of Experience is required.
- A hard copy portfolio is required with two (2) CD copies (one for Nursing and one for PLA Department).
- Residency Requirements for VSU require students to have at least thirty (30) hours of courses taken through VSU. PLA does meet residency requirement rules.