- MLIS 7000, Foundations of Library and Information Science, is required in the first
semester of study. Attendance at a two-day face-to-face orientation is required.
Once the orientation is completed, the balance of the course is delivered completely online.
Face-to-face Orientation dates and time: August 9 & 10, 2013. 9:00am to 5:00pm.
Meeting place: Valdosta State University, Odum Library.
Fall 2013 Orientation Information Letter
Lodging: Students must make your own arrangements (see http://www.valdostatourism.com/ for travel information)
Directions to VSU: Directions to VSU [pdf]
Guides developed to orient new students:
- Guide to Ethical Conduct [pdf]
- Proposed course schedules for Summer 2013 - Spring 2014.
- Academic Calendar [a place to find registration schedules and other important dates]
- Youth Services Librarianship
- Cataloging and Classification
- Health Sciences Librarianship
- Library Management
- Reference Sources and Services
Preparation to serve children and teens in school and public libraries
- Checklist for Students [pdf] -- Read this first.
- Liability Insurance and Criminal Background Check [pdf]
- Sample Program of Study Form for Dual MLIS & School Media Specialist Certification [pdf]
- MLIS and Library Media Certification: What's the Conncection? [pdf]
A program of study is your record of the courses that you plan to take to fulfill graduation requirements and meet your career goals. It must be developed jointly by you and your advisor. Ask your advisor for help in selecting the appropriate form from the list below.
If you plan to request transfer credits for a core course, the course must meet the criteria on the MLIS Transfer Credit Guidelines.
- Blank Program of Study Form [doc]
- Blank MLIS 1st MLIS Masters Form [doc]
- Blank MLIS 2nd MLIS Masters Form [doc]
- Dual MLIS & School Media Specialist Certification [doc]
Because you are online students, you submit all enclosures listed below to the VSU Bursary by mail:
- A check for $25, made out to Valdosta State University.
Identify the payment as the graduate graduation fee.
- Prepare a memo that gives your full name, your 9-digit VSU ID number (870_ _ _ _ _ _ ),
the name of your program (MLIS), and the name of your advisor.
- Fill out these forms:
- Sign all forms in appropriate places.
- Send your forms, memo, and check to the VSU Bursary.
- The Bursary forwards your packet (including your receipt) to the MLIS department for sign-offs.
- Your MLIS advisor forwards completed documents and your receipt to the Registrar.