Customized Library Instruction
Requesting an Instruction Session
To request an instruction session, you can either call the Reference Desk at 333-7149 or e-mail through the online Library Instruction Scheduling Request Form.
For distance education and off-campus classes, get ideas from Customized Library Instruction for Your Online and Off-Campus Courses.
What can library instruction do for your class?Library Instruction will help your students learn to use the library and its resources effectively.
Students will learn:
- How to differentiate between popular magazines and research/peer reviewed journals.
- How to develop search techniques for finding both books and articles.
- How to filter and evaluate information found on the Internet.
- How to locate materials in the library.
- How to evaluate information sources and revise search strategies as needed.
Library instruction can be tailored for your classes. A librarian will work with you to develop a library instruction session that meets the needs of your students. Depending on the requirements of your research assignment, you can select from or combine the following to include in your session:
- Subject Specific Resources
- Searching Electronic Databases
- Finding Government Information
- Searching/Evaluating information on the World Wide Web
Library AssignmentsWe are committed to helping teaching faculty and staff create effective library assignments. Assistance can include:
- Identifying appropriate resources for projects and papers. You know what you want your assignment to convey; we know what the Library has available to support your teaching.
- Placing high-demand items on Reserve. You know what you want your students to use; we can help students gain access to that information.
- Assignments that do not reflect current local resources, services, and technologies.
- Assignments whose terminology confuses students, e.g. scholarly journals, primary sources, etc.
- Assigments that require large groups of students to use the same source, thus creating problems with availability.
We perform regular assessment to ensure the effectiveness of our library instruction sessions.