Distance Education Faculty Services and Resources
Odum Library is committed to providing library resources and services to VSU faculty teaching courses both on and off the main campus. To help facilitate library use by faculty teaching online, off-campus, or GSAMS courses, the library maintains the Library Services and Resources for Distance Education Faculty Webpage. If at any time you have general questions about the library or specific questions about library resources, please call the Odum Library Reference Desk at (229) 333-7149 or email the Outreach Services Librarian.
Links to Library Services Supporting Distance Education
- VSU Faculty at Kings Bay: In addition to the resources available from Odum Library,
VSU faculty may contact Steve Scheuler, Librarian and Manager, Campus Resource Center
at Kings Bay, (912) 573-2001, ext.4526 or visit the Kings Bay Library website.
- Reference Assistance: Help is just a click away. Connect with Reference Librarians by Live Chat, e-mail reference, phone, or text message.
- Library Instruction: Librarians will travel to off-campus locations and provide library
instruction sessions. Make arrangements early to ensure a Librarian is available.Consider adding a library instruction module to your online course today. You can pick and choose from a variety of print and video tutorials available from our Library Help Webpage. Please view this sample library instruction section which can easily be added to your online course.
- Embedded Librarians are available for your online or hybrid classes. Embedding a librarian into your class allows your students to easily connect with the help they need in order to complete their research assignments. Add a librarian to your class for a couple of weeks or an entire semester. The librarian will be happy to collaborate with you on assignments. Most commonly, librarians provide tutorials and tips on using library resources and answer students' questions on a discussion board.
If you would like to add an Embedded Librarian to your online course, please fill out the online embedded librarian request form. The Librarians at Odum Library want to work with you to provide any instructional tool your students need to facilitate their use of library services.
- GALILEO Databases: information on searching for journal articles. When you are off campus, remember to log into Anywhere Access before entering the databases.
- GIL Catalog: finding books in the library's catalog.
- Document Delivery: Faculty who teach entirely from an off-campus location can have library materials delivered.
- Library Research Assignments: creating effective assignments for your students.
- InterLibrary Loan: bringing the world to you.
- USG Share: is a digital repository for instructional content provided by the University System of Georgia to share high quality instructional resources within the USG, regionally through the SREB-SCORE project, and to colleges, universities and consortia throughout the United States and around the world.
- Requests for Purchase: Please visit the Acquisitions/Serial Unit's Webpage. Requests for the purchase of new materials are coordinated through your Academic Department Head.
- Reserve Materials: Materials may be checked out from Odum Library's Collection to be placed on reserve at any off-campus location for the semester. For more information, please contact Alan Bernstein, Circulation Manager (229) 245-3752.
- Library Collections : getting your hands on them.
- Technical Assistance