You can now access SciFinder Scholar directly on the Web. SciFinder Scholar is a research discovery tool that allows you to explore the Chemical Abstract Services (CAS) databases that contain literature from many scientific disciplines including biomedical sciences, chemistry, engineering, material science, agricultural science, and more.
SciFinder Scholar Web version access is only available for current students, faculty and staff at Valdosta State University. You must have a current VSU e-mail address ( UserID@valdosta.edu) and be on campus to register for SciFinder Scholar web access.
First Time Users, One-Time SciFinder Web User Registration is Required
To use the SciFinder Web version, you must first when on campus register online and create a user name and password. (In the event you encounter a pop-up window indicating a problem with the security certficate, you are encoraged to switch to the Firefox Browser, the campus recommended browser.) It is suggested that you consider using your Valdosta e-mail user name if it meets the required criteria of being unique and containing 5-15 characters. The selected password must be more complex, with 7-15 characters, mixed upper-and lowercase letters and at least one non-alphabet character, either a number or special character, such as a dash, underscore, period, etc. You will receive an e-mail message from CAS SciFinder that includes a link and instructions for completing the registration process. You must select the link within 48 hours. If not, you will need to begin the registration process again. Detailed SciFinder User Registration Instructions
SciFinder Web Connection & Browser Requirements
Go to https://scifinder.cas.org/ and login with your user name and password. You can also reset your password from this page, as necessary when forgotten.
Guides and Tutorials for SciFinder Web
- Watch a demonstration of SciFinder Web
- Tutorials (recorded videos and PDFs) and How-To Guides
- SciFinder FAQ
- SciFinder Podcasts
- CAS e-Seminars (registration required)
- CAS Virtual Labs: participate in an open, hands-on SciFinder Web session, joined by a CAS trainer who can answer your questions (registration required)
- If you have problems with the links for the e-Seminars and Virtual Labs, go to the CAS WebEx site and select the Training or Event Center tabs.
SciFinder Scholar (web version) is a commercial tool funded by Valdosta State University Library on behalf of the Valdosta State University community and is only to be used for academic research done in the course of pursuing a degree, or in instructing students, or, in the course of research funded by the government or a non-profit foundation and intended for publication in the publicly available literature. Valdosta State University users are prohibited from using SciFinder Scholar for commercial research and purposes.
Terms and Conditions of Use:
- I will not share my username and password with any other person.
- I will search only for myself and not for others or other organizations.
- I will not use any automated program or script for extracting or downloading CAS data, or any other systematic retrieval of data.
- I may retain a maximum of 5,000 Records at any given time for personal use or to share within a Project team for the duration of the Project.
- Valdosta State University's SciFinder License agreement and the CAS Information Use Policies apply to my use of SciFinder.
Please contact the Sherrida Crawford, Chemistry Department Library Liaison, if you have any questions or comments about using SciFinder. Do not hesitate to report any difficulties using SciFinder Web directly to the Library's Automation staff via the Report Electronic Resource Connection Problem online form.