Table of Contents
Library & Research Basics
Search Techniques and Strategy
Library Website Help
Journal Article Databases
Selecting a Database from the Social Work Subject Guide
- Go to the library home page (www.valdosta.edu/library/).
- Click on the Articles tab, if it is not already selected.
- Click the arrow for the drop menu located under Articles & Databases by Subject.
- Select Social Work.
NOTE: You will need to login through Anywhere Access or know the GALILEO password if you are off campus.
Article Databases for Social Work:
Other Useful Databases for Social Work (Interdisciplinary, Education, Psychology)
To access any of these databases from the GALILEO home page:
- On our library homepage, click on the blue GALILEO button
- Click on Databases A-Z.
- Type in the name of the database in the search box, or click on the alphabetical list.
Helpful resource for Peer Review:
- Use Ulrich's to determine if a journal is refereed (peer reviewed). Look for the referee's shirt!
Retrieving the Articles
- Using the "Find-It" Button (video tutorial on checking for full text of journal articles)
- Getting Electronic Journal Articles Full Text (Odum Library Guide)
- If you have a citation, use the black "journals" tab at the Odum Library homepage to search for that title.
- Locating bound & current print journals in Odum Library
- Bound periodicals are located on the 1st floor of Odum Library.
- Current periodicals are located on the 1st floor of Odum Library. Don't forget to lift up the shelf if you are looking for previous months' issues.
- Getting Your Hands on the Articles (guide)—shows paths to getting articles in print, online full text, or by interlibrary loan request.
- Use ILL- Odum Express to request articles, or books, not owned by Odum Library.
Using Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Interlibrary Loan allows you to request articles, books, and other materials from other libraries. You can use ILLiad, our online interlibrary loan system, to get articles in 2-5 days, or books in 2 weeks.
To make an ILL request:
- Go to the library home page (www.valdosta.edu/library/)
- Click on ILL-Odum Express.
- Login with your BlazeVIEW username and password.
- The first time you login to the ILLiad system you must register (immediate and free). After registering you can request articles and books.
- You will receive an email when the article or book arrives. Articles delivered online can be retrieved through ILLiad (there are instructions in the email). Books are picked up and returned to the main circulation desk.
- Odum Library does not charge for ILL.
Dissertations & Theses
Finding Books and Other Materials
Library of Congress Authorities: Search for the correct subject headings for your topic. For instance, instead of "domestic violence" use the subject heading "family violence" to search for books about that subject.
Advanced options for searching for books:
- Classic GIL@VSU Catalog—offers advanced searching in fields such as exact titles, subject headings, locations such as Reference or 3rd Floor Shelves, etc. Also contains a tab for searching Course Reserves.
- GIL-FIND Universal Catalog—expands the GIL-FIND@VSU catalog to search for and request books from all University System of Georgia libraries.
- GIL Universal Catalog / GIL Express Request (guide) (guide)—how to request books from other USG libraries.
- eBooks—the box on the left hand side of the page has links to eBooks from EBSCOhost, ebrary, and Gale Virtual Reference Library..
- WorldCat Catalog—searches multiple library catalogs from around the world to locate records for books, websites and internet resources, manuscripts, maps, computer programs, musical scores, films and slides, newspapers, journals and magazines, and sound recordings. You can also narrow a WorldCat search to locate just those items available at Odum Library.
Other Skills and Resources
These legal / criminal justice sources may also be of use to you, when conducting research for this class:
Bureau of Justice Statistics
National Criminal Justice Reference Center
American Bar Association: Commission on Domestic & Sexual Violence
Odum Library subject guides for Law and Criminal Justice
Odum Library Government Documents Department, with links to major online federal and state government search engines, agencies, and other resources.