Selected CAREER Resources
for NURSING majors
- Getting Started (video guide)
- Anywhere Access
- Log in to Anywhere Access to use library resources while off-campus.
- Live Chat
- The Live Chat page shows ways to contact a Reference Librarian. Contact methods include online chat, text message, email, phone, or visiting us in person during normal reference desk hours.
- Schedule a research consultation with a librarian for in-depth help
- With this online form, you may request an appointment with a reference librarian for assistance with your research. We request 48 hours' notice to allow time for scheduling.
Job Titles, Descriptions, and Outlooks:
- 101 Careers in Nursing--Reference book about nursing careers, located in Odum Library Reference, call # REF RT82 .A15 2003.
- O*Net OnLine Primary source of occupational information for the United States.
- Occupational Employment Statistics From the U.S. Department of Labor, this site provides estimates for number of people employed and wages paid for more than 800 occupations.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook Also from the U.S. Department of Labor, the OOH describes not only job requirements, wages, and prospects, but also what people spend time doing on the job and customary working conditions. Also available in print by request at the Odum Library Reference Desk, call number READY REF HF5381.A1 O362.
Research Strategies & Guides
- Boolean, Truncation & Wildcard (Odum Library guide)
- Constructing a Search Strategy (Odum Library guide)
- Mapping Your Topic (Odum Library guide)
- GIL-Find@VSU Locate books in the Odum Library: Search for the subject Nursing Vocational Guidance for books about careers in nursing.
- GIL-Find Tutorial (video guide)
- GIL-Find Universal Catalog Expands the GIL-Find@VSU catalog to search for and request books from all University System of Georgia libraries. GIL Express allows you to have those books delivered to any USG library within 4-7business days.
- GIL Universal Catalog / GIL Express (guide)
- eBooks The box on the left hand side of the page has links to eBooks by ebrary, EBSCOhost, and Safari.
Finding Articles about Nursing and Medicine using Library Databases
- Odum Library subject guide for Nursing
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text (Nursing database)
- MEDLINE with Full Text (at EBSCOhost) (Medical research database)
- MeSH (Online version of Medical Subject Headings)
- CINAHL (Odum Library guide)
Finding Articles using Multidisciplinary and Newspaper Databases
- Academic Search Complete (various subjects, some peer-reviewed and full text)
- Research Library (at ProQuest) (various subjects, some peer-reviewed and full text)
- JSTOR (full text journal articles, 2006 and earlier)
- ProQuest Newspapers (good news coverage; not peer reviewed)
- LexisNexis Academic (good news, legal, and business coverage)
Retrieving the Articles
- Using the "Find It" Button to check for articles full-text or in print (Odum Library video tutorial)
- Locating bound & current print journals in Odum Library
- Bound periodicals are located on the 1st floor of Odum Library (Odum Library map)
- Current periodicals are located on the 1st floor of Odum Library (Odum Library map). Don't forget to lift up the shelf if you are looking for recent issues beyond the current issue.
- ILL (Inter-Library Loan) Order articles and books from other libraries.
Resources for Information about Business and Industry
- Hoover's Company Capsules & Profiles (at ProQuest)
- International Directory of Company Histories, available in Odum Library Reference at call number REF HD2721 .D36, includes 103 volumes to date of background information about major companies.
Community and Economic Resources (United States)
- U.S. Census Bureau The starting point for statistics and analysis of how people live in the United States: national, regional, state, and local information about population, income, housing, employment, business, and more.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics State Resources Links to each state's employment and labor information sites.
- Best Places to Live From CityRating.com, information about and cost comparison estimates between cities throughout the United States.
September 10, 2012