ENGL 1102, Prof. Rogers, Spring 2012
This webpage connects you to resources to assist you in your research.
Valdosta State University's Odum Library Homepage
- Getting Started (video guide)
- Anywhere Access
- Log in to Anywhere Access to use library resources while off-campus.
- Live Chat
- The Live Chat page shows ways to contact a Reference Librarian. Contact methods include online chat, text message, email, phone, or visiting us in person during normal reference desk hours.
- Schedule a research consultation with a librarian for in-depth help
- With this online form, you may request an appointment with a reference librarian for assistance with your research. We request 48 hours' notice to allow time for scheduling.
Developing a Search Statement
Print Reference Materials
You will find print reference sources in both the main reference collection and the "reference alcove." Please ask the Reference Librarian on duty at the reference desk for assistance in finding materials.
An example of a print reference resource
Online Reference Sources
An example of an online reference resource (Gale Virtual Reference Library)
Finding Databases to search for Scholarly Articles
- Go to the library home page (www.valdosta.edu/library/).
- Click on the Articles tab, if it is not already selected.
- Click the arrow for the drop-down menu located under Articles & Databases by Subject to reach subject pages for VSU majors.
- Is it peer-reviewed? Use Ulrich's and look for the referee's shirt!
Recommended Databases for finding articles about current issues
For finding information about companies
NOTE: You will need to login through Anywhere Access or know the GALILEO password if you are off campus.
Help with getting articles full-text or in print
Finding Books and Other Materials
- GIL-Find@VSU—searches for books and other materials by keyword, title, author, subject, and other fields.
- GIL-Find Tutorial (video guide)
- Classic GIL@VSU Catalog—offers advanced searching in fields such as exact titles, subject headings, locations such as Reference or 3rd Floor Shelves, etc. Also contains a tab for searching Course Reserves.
- GIL Universal Catalog—expands the Classic GIL@VSU catalog to search for and request books from all University System of Georgia libraries. GIL Express allows you to have those books delivered to any USG library within 3-6 days.
- GIL Universal Catalog / GIL Express (guide)
- eBooks—the box on the left hand side of the page has links to eBooks by ebrary and Safari.
Using Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Interlibrary Loan allows you to request articles, books, and other materials from other libraries. You can use ILLiad, our online interlibrary loan system, to get articles in 2-5 days, or books in 2 weeks.
Other Skills and Resources