Home > Administrative Offices > Odum Library > Library Help > Subject & Course Guides > Biology > BIOL 1100 - Biology Freshman Seminar
BIOL 1100 - Biology Freshman Seminar
This webpage gives an introduction to Biology research materials and Biology career guides.
Have a Question? Need Help? Asking a librarian is easy with Live Chat!
- Live Chat
- Chat with, text, or call a VSU Librarian.
- Email us your questions after hours.
- Schedule an In-Depth research Appointment with a librarian.
Search Strategies & Skills
Finding Articles in Odum Library
Databases are the best way to search for research articles on your topic
Evaluating Your Sources
- What is a primary research article?
A primary research article reports on original research and findings.
Primary research articles have the following sections:
- Introduction/Literature Review
- What is a peer-reviewed journal?
- VSU Peer Review Guide
- “Peer review” journals (or “refereed journals”) mean that an article is reviewed by experts in that field before the article gets published.
- Some databases allow you to limit your search to Peer Reviewed or Refereed articles.
- In some databases you can click on the Journal title and information about the journal, including if it is peer-reviewed, will be displayed.
- You can check to see if a journal is peer-reviewed using Ulrich’s, a database.
- Type the journal title in the search box (leave off A, The, An, etc. at the start of the tile) and click on search button (green magnifying glass).
- Find your title in the search results and click on it to see the record. Look for “Refereed” and “Yes.” If you do not see “Refereed” in the Basic Description column, it is not. Refereed is the same as peer-reviewed.
- Evaluating Journal Articles
- Scholarly Journals vs. Trade Magazines vs. Popular Magazines Auburn University
Retrieving the Articles
- Using the "Find-It" Button (video tutorial)
- Getting Electronic Journal Articles Full Text (Odum Library Guide)
- Locating bound & current print journals in Odum Library
- Bound periodicals are located on the 1st floor of Odum Library.
- Current periodicals are located on the 1st floor of Odum Library. Don't forget to lift up the shelf if you are looking for previous months' issues.
- Use ILL- Odum Express to request articles, or books, not owned by Odum Library.
Finding Books in Odum Library
Search GIL-Find for books, theses, dissertations & government documents
- When you find a book in the online catalog note the location and the complete call number. Odum Library uses Library of Congress call numbers.
Requesting Books & Articles not Available at Odum Library
- Using the "Find It" Button (video) to location non-full text articles when searching the databases
- Using the "Find It" Button to location non-full text articles when searching the databases
- GIL Express is a service that allows you to borrow items as available from University System of Georgia (USG) Libraries through placing an online request in the GIL Universal Catalog or on site when visiting one of the USG libraries.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL) allows you to request books and articles that Odum Library does not have.
Careers in Biology
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Search GIL-Find@VSU for books in Odum Library on Biology -- Vocational Guidance
- Click on GIL-Find@VSU
- type Biology -- Vocational Guidancein the search box
- select Subject from the drop menu
- click the Find button
Ask Us (Chat Now), Tell Us about the Library website.
This document last modified
Thursday, 23-Aug-2012 11:09:12 EDT Staff