Using the "Find It" Button
|Using the "Find It" Button (Video)
When searching in Odum Library's electronic resources, especially journal article databases like Academic Search Complete or Research Library, you may find that you can not view the full text of an article in your search results list. What happens when that full-text article is in another place, but not the place where you're searching?
When you're in this kind of resource, and the full text of an article is not available, you should see a purple button that says "Find It" instead of a link to the full-text article. This means two things:
- The full text article isn't available in this particular database, but it could be in another place.
- Find It will help you search through everything Odum Library has to offer for the full text!
Below is a picture of what the Find It button looks like in a list of search results:
1. The "Find It" button is under the first search result.
When you click on the Find It button, Find It will search through all of our electronic holdings to see if we have the article anywhere else. Since that's a lot of work, it may take a few seconds to load.
Below is a picture of what the Find It window looks like:
2. Picture of the "Find It" window. This article is not available online through VSU's electronic resources.
The first section, "Full-Text Options," shows you how to either access or try to find the full-text article within what the library already has.
- If it's available online, you should see one or more links to the article through a different database.
- If it isn't available online, you should click on "Search your institution's GIL Catalog for a print copy." This looks through our Odum Library Catalog to see if we have the article in a print journal in the library.
- The "Search the GIL Universal Catalog for a print copy" option relates to GIL Express - click here for more information about GIL Express.
- The bX window suggests articles that may be related to the article you searched for.
If we do not have the article either online or in print, use the "Other Services" section to place an order through Interlibrary Loan (ILL) by clicking "ILL - Odum Express ILLiad Logon Account." When you click "ILL-Odum Express," Find It will automatically send the article's information to your ILL order form after you log in:
3. Picture of the Interlibrary Loan order form for articles, also known as "Request a Photocopy."
Please note that Interlibrary Loan requires an account, so if you are logging into ILL for the first time, you will need to put in contact information and create your ILL account before Find It and ILL will work together.
For more details on Find It, please check our Find It FAQ.