By Erin Abbott Blanton
Creator: Arthur White, 1923-2001
Extent: 28.0 Linear Feet
Date Acquired: 12/31/2009. More info below under Accruals.
The Arthur White Collection includes general memorabilia from Mr. White’s long career with TIME Magazine. The topics and subject matters are varied. This collection provides a wide range of artifacts, including, but not limited to: correspondence, newspaper articles, pamphlets, passports, birth certificates, brochures, and personal and work-related keepsakes. Most of the artifacts were in good to decent condition, few were in fair condition. A large amount of the content in this collection is in the original format.
Accruals: The 25 boxes, 28 linear feet, came to us in batches. The first batch was a bunch of boxes that had been poorly stored. Plastic bins were also sent over with publications and papers in better condition. Also, we have been given scanned images and documents from the Lowndes County Historical Society from the Louie Peeples Collection that relate to the White Collection. We acquired the collection over the course of a year.
Acquisition Source: Lowndes County Historical Society
Acquisition Method: The Arthur White collection is a subset of the Louie Peeples White papers which she left to the Lowndes County Historical Society (LCHS). Because of the international nature of this collection, they have donated it to the VSU Archives where they expect it will be able to be used with classes and other patrons not naturally drawn to LCHS.
Appraisal Information: This is a valuable collection because White was an international correspondent for Time magazine during the late 1950's thru the 1980's. Issues of the times from Johnson's poverty programs to Watergate to the birth of Punk Rock are covered in these ms. There are photographs, copies of Time magazine, interview notes, drafts of stories, edits of stories, and final published versions. There are also personal papers and information about travel. This collection should be of use to students and researchers in journalism, political science, history and international affairs.The condition of the papers is fair, and bad in some cases.
Preferred Citation: Arthur White Collection. Courtesy of Valdosta State University Archives and Special Collections, Odum Library.
(1&2) TIME August 11, 1962 - Tough Times on the Railroad
(3&4) TIME November 3, 1961 - Girls in College: They Have Scarcely Begun to Use Their Brains
(5) TIME December 29, 1961 - The Year in Business: Anrush of Automation
(1) TIME February 9, 1962 - "Where are the Catholic Intellectuals?"
(2) TIME April 6, 1962 - Sophia Loren
(3) TIME May 11, 1962 - South VietNam: What it Takes to Win
(1) TIME May 25, 1962 - The BIllie Sol Estes Scandal
(2) TIME June 15, 1962 - A Midsummer's Election
(3) TIME June 29, 1962 - US OPEN Champ Jack Nicklaus
(1) TIME November 30, 1962 - India's Lost Illusions
(2&3) TIME December 21, 1962 - The Sport Of The '60s
(1) TIME April 5, 1963 - Agriculture Secretary Freeman
(2) TIME May 10, 1963 - 40th Anniversary Issue: "The Individual in America"
(3) TIME May 31, 1963 - The Rising US Economy
(1&2) TIME July 5, 1963 - The Peace Corps: A US Ideal Abroad
(3) TIME August 9, 1963 - South Viet Nam's Madame Nhu
(1) TIME August 23, 1963 - As the Test Ban Approaches: The Size and Condition of the US Atomic Arsenal
(2) TIME October 18, 1963 - Those College Quarterbacks
(3) TIME November 1, 1963 - Germany and the Defense of Europe
(1) TIME April 10, 1964 - Barbra Streisand
(2) TIME July 24, 1964 - The New Thrust In American Politics
(3) TIME December 11, 1964 - Buddhism: Religion and Politics
(4) TIME December 18, 1964 - Building the Pavilions of Culture
(1) TIME September 3, 1965 - The Man Who Wants the Government to Get Off the Farm
(2) TIME May 13, 1966 - Crossfire in the War on Poverty
(3) TIME March 10, 1967 - Henry R. Luce
(1&2) TIME February 9, 1968 - Days of Death in Viet Nam" Hanoi's General Giap
(3) TIME May 17, 1968 - Poverty in America: Its Cause and Extent
(4) TIME August 16, 1968 - The G.O.P. Ticket
(1&2) TIME January 24, 1969 - To Heal A Nation, Special Section: The Task Before the President
(3) TIME April 4, 1969 - Dwight Eisenhower
(4) TIME September 26, 1969 - Drugs and the Young
(1&2) TIME March 30, 1970 - Postal Breakdown: A National Crisis
(3) TIME September 14, 1970 - The Man Behind the Midi Mania: John Fairchild of Women's Wear Daily
(4) TIME November 1, 1971 - The Nixon Court
(1&2) TIME December 25, 1972 - Holiday on Skies: The Hottest Sport; The Coolest Slopes
(3) TIME May 14, 1973 - How Much Did He Know
(4) TIME November 12, 1973 - Nixon's Jury: The People
(1) TIME January 7, 1974 - The Man of the Year
(2) TIME February 18, 1974 - "Exxon: Testing the Tiger"
(3) TIME October 7, 1984 - The Ordeal of Political Wives
(1) TIME May 19, 1975 - Baryshnikov: Ballet's New Idol
(2) TIME July 28, 2975 - Ford's First Year: At Ease in the White House
(3) TIME August 18, 1975 - Baseball's Super Showman: Oakland's Charlie Finley
(4) TIME August 25, 1975 - Mid-East: Is Peace at Hand?