Cataloging: Discarded/Withdrawn Materials
If a title is being withdrawn, DO NOT delete the bibliographic record from the cataloging database.
SUPPRESS the bibliographic record using the following six easy steps:
1. In the 245 field subfield $a, after the title proper, type "SUPPRESSED BY [YOUR NAME] -- BOOK DISCARDED" (or whatever-- briefly give the reason why you're suppressing the record). If you put the note in the title field it will be more immediately visible to staff in Acquisitions or Cataloging.
2. Check off the "Suppress from OPAC" box on the System tab of the bibliographic record.
3. Save the bib record using the "Save to DB" button.
4. Retrieve the MFHD and change the location in subfield $b to WITHDRAWN.
5. Save the MFHD using the "Save to DB" button.
6. Delete the holdings from OCLC.