Valdosta State University (VSU) has a legal and ethical responsibility to safeguard and to protect all confidential information. Confidential information includes patient information, employee information, business information, financial information and other information relating to VSU. In the course of my employment and/or association with VSU, I understand that I will come into contact with confidential information. Confidential information may be spoken, written or electronic. The purpose of this agreement is to clarify my duties regarding confidential information.
By signing this document I understand and agree to comply with VSU Policies & Procedures on Confidentiality and Security Access and the GA Computer Systems Protection Act, copies of which I have received for my records. In addition:
1. I agree not to disclose confidential information to others who do not have a need-to-know. Need-to-know is defined as that which is necessary for one to adequately perform one's specific job responsibilities as they relate to VSU.
2. I agree not to access or attempt to access any information, or utilize equipment, other than that which is required to do my job.
3. I agree not to discuss confidential information where others can overhear the conversation, e.g., in hallways, on elevators, in the cafeterias, at restaurants, at social events. I understand that it is not acceptable to discuss any confidential information inside or outside the organization, while on or off duty, even if specific names are not used, other than as permitted in this agreement.
4. I agree not to access any confidential information for any person who does not have a need-to-know.
5. I understand that my user name and password are the equivalent of my signature and that I am accountable for all entries and actions recorded during their use.
6. I agree that I will not disclose my user name and password to any person for any reason.
7. I agree not to access any confidential information using someone else's user name and password.
8. I agree not to send or take any confidential information outside VSU in any form (including PDAs) without authorization.
9. I agree not to make any additions, modifications or deletions to any confidential information without authorization.
10. I agree to respect the limitations and usage of the information system network and not to interfere unreasonably with the activity usage of other authorized persons.
11. I understand that my access to all computer systems may be monitored and audited without notice to me.
12. I agree to log out of any computer session opened under my user name and password prior to leaving any computer or terminal unattended.
13. I understand that if authorized to use Internet and/or email, I will use it only for authorized job responsibilities. Any misuse or abuse (e.g., pornographic material, chain letters, etc.) of these privileges could be grounds for disciplinary action.
14. I understand that I must participate in periodic training, as determined by VSU.
15. I agree to respect the ownership of proprietary software (e.g., I will not operate any unauthorized software on VSU computers or make unauthorized copies of any software for my own use).
16. I understand that confidential papers should be picked up as soon as possible from copiers, mail boxes, fax machines, printers and other publicly accessible locations. Confidential papers, reports, and computer printouts should be kept in a secure place. When they are no longer needed, confidential papers should be deposited in the document destruction bins to be destroyed.
17. I understand that my obligation under this agreement will continue after my termination of employment and/or association with VSU and that my privileges are subject to periodic review, revision, renewal and termination.
18. I agree to notify VSU's Privacy Officer immediately of any unauthorized access or use of confidential information or of violation by anyone of any of the rules above.
I understand that violation of this agreement may result in the following:
a. Denial of access to VSU computer systems;
b. Disciplinary action as stated in VSU Policies and Procedures and the Employee Handbook up to and including termination;
c. Penalties under State and Federal laws and regulations;
d. Denial of privileges to practice professionally at VSU facilities and/or denial of entry into those facilities;
e. Notification the Board of Regents;
f. Any combination of the above.
Printed name (BLOCK CAPITAL LETTERS ONLY)
Date (mm/dd/yy) Social Security Number
Work Street Address
City, State, Zip Work Telephone