forwarding as an attachment
How do I create RFC-822 MIME encoded attachments?
Customers using IronPort Anti-Spam or Symantec Brightmail Anti-Spam will want to submit both 'missed spam ' (False Negatives) and messages which are incorrectly classified as SPAM (False Positives). In either case, the submission must be attached to an email as an RFC-822 MIME encoded attachment. This ensures that the submission can be processed quickly and efficiently. The actual steps to follow are different for each mail program (Mail User Agent).
1. The most effective way to submit using Outlook is to use the plug-ins.
2. IronPort Anti-Spam Outlook plug-in
1. Click the submission buttons located in the tool bar
3. Brightmail Outlook plug-in
1. Click the submission buttons located in the tool bar. Alternatively Microsoft Outlook.
4. To cause all forwarded messages to be an RFC-822 MIME encoded attachment:
1. Click Tools > Options.
2. Click Preferences > E-mail Options.
3. In the drop-down section "When forwarding a message," choose " Attach original message."
4. Click OK
5. Click OK.
6. In the drop-down section "When replying to a message," choose "Attach original message."
7. Click OK
8. Click OK
5. If you prefer "in-line" style forwarding generally, you can force Outlook to use RFC-822 for a given message(s).
1. Navigate the folder that contains the submission.
1. For example, your In box
2 Hold down the control key (Ctrl) and highlight at least two messages.
3 Right Click on the highlighted messages, choose Forward.
4 This "forces" outlook to use RFC-822, however, Brightmail does not accept multiple submissions in this format.
5. Brightmail users
1 Delete all but one "attachment"
2 Repeat for each message
6. IronPort Anti-Spam accepts multiple attachments,
1. Click Send
7. If you have only one example, delete the additional message.
Tested vith Notes versions 6.5.x and 7.0.x
1. From your Lotus Notes inbox
1 Open the false negative (missed spam) or false positive message
2 Click View > Show > Page Source
3 Copy all the data into a text file and save the file with .eml extension. Repeat for each message
4 Create a new message
5 Attach the .eml file(s) and send the new message
2. Lotus 6.5.x Administrators only
1. See the pdf document, at the bottom of the page, for instructions on downloading and installing an open-source utility that provides the capability to submit messages to IronPort as part of an enhanced mail template.
3. IronPort Anti-Spam Domino Agent Plug in
1. Coming Soon!
4. Brightmail Domino Agent
1. Download from the IronPort Support Portal
Outlook Express 6
1. Open Outlook Express 6.
2. Right-click the message that you want to submit, choose Forward As Attachment.
Entourage (Apple Mac)
1. Open Entourage.
2. Right-click the message to submit, choose Forward As Attachment.
1. Open Apple Mail.app
2. File -> Save As, Format -Raw Message Source, Repeat for each spam message
3. Create a new message
4. Attach raw source file(s) to the new message
1. Open Thunderbird.
2. Select message (message is highlighted)
3. Then click Message -> Forward As -> "Attachment"
1. "Message" is at the top, next to "File Edit View Go"
1. Open Netscape Messenger.
2. Right-click the message to submit, choose Forward as an attachment.