Human Resources & Employee Development
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where is the Department of Human Resources & Employee Development Located?
This office is located in the University Center Entrance Five. After you have entered the building, continue walking straight and then make a left and you will see our office.
- What do I need to do to change my name and/or address?
The Human Resource Department has the name/address change forms in the office.
- Where are the Tuition Assistance Program forms located?
These forms are located in the Human Resource Department and the forms are available here.
- What is the deadline date for the Tuition Remission Forms?
The deadlines are as follows: Spring: November 15th, Summer: April 15th, Fall: July 15th
- How do I obtain information on available job vacancies?
You may obtain job openings by contacting the Human Resource Department or by visiting here.
- What are the requirements for applying for job vacancies?
You will need to fill out an application; however, the credentials may vary according to job position and may include three current letters of work related experience and an official transcript from any college or technical school attended.
- Who handles job posting related requirements?
The Department of Human Resource & Employee Development
- Who handles payroll issues?
Additional information can be obtained by visiting here.
- Who handles benefits issues?
The Department of Human Resource & Employee Development.
- What do I need to do in the event of the death of my spouse or dependent? What does my family need to do in the event of my death?
You need to submit an official death claim to the Department of Human Resources & Employee Development. You or the family member will be contacted for personal information regarding the beneficiaries.
- What can I do to get another insurance card?
Insurance cards are mailed directly from Blue Cross & Blue Shield 7-10 days after insurance coverage begins.
- What do I need to do to drop/add a dependent because of death, divorce, marriage, marriage of a dependent, attainment of maximum age, or because your spouse loses coverage because of loss of employment?
You have a 31 day limit from the qualifying event to bring in proper documentation to the Department of Human Resource & Employee Development or you must wait until open enrollment.
- What do I need to do to get my retirement process started?
Please come to the Department of Human Resources & Employee Development to pick up a Retirement Packet or contact Teacher's Retirement System of Georgia. Other information is available by visiting here.
- What is the number to Blue Cross Blue Shield?
The number is 1-800-424-8950 or you may visit here.
- What do I need to do to change my beneficiaries on my life insurance and teacher retirement?
To change your beneficiaries on life insurance and teacher's retirement coverage, please come to the Department of Human Resources & Employee Development to complete a new beneficiary designation form.
- Where do I go to get verification that my dependent is a full time student?
Verification can be received from the Registrar's Office of the school that your child is attending. We will also accept a class schedule and a tuition receipt as verification.
- What is the number to Express Script?
The Express Script number is 1-877-650-9341 or you may visit here.
- How much am I paying for Health insurance and what type plan did I enroll in?
This information is provided on your payroll check stub. Also, the Department of Human Resource & Employee Development can verify that information and provide that information from our system. There are two plans at Valdosta State University, PPO and Indemnity.
- When can I change my health plan or get more life insurance?
Open Enrollment is designated as the time that employees can make health and life insurance changes.
- Who is our life insurance carrier?
CIGNA Life is our life insurance carrier. All eligible employees receive, as a benefit, $25,000 life insurance at no cost to the employee.
- What holidays and how many do we get per year?
You may pick up a schedule from the Department of Human Resources & Employee Development or retrieve this information from our website. Eligible employees receive 12 paid holidays per year.
- Can we borrow from our retirement plan with Teacher's Retirement?
Employees cannot borrow from their Teacher's Retirement plan. Please contact the Teacher's Retirement System of Georgia at 1-800-352-0650 (within Georgia) for additional information or you may wish to view their website here.
- How many days can one be out before they need a doctor's excuse?
A doctor's excuse is needed for an employee to return to work after that employee has been absent for three consecutive working days.
- How many vacation days or hours can I carry over into the next year?
Employees can carry over only 45 days or 360 hours of vacation into the new calendar year.
- Do we get paid for our sick leave if we terminate with Valdosta State University?
While we do not get paid for sick leave if we terminate employment, sick leave hour balances may be converted to days and applied to your retirement with the Teacher's Retirement System.
- How may I determine if a certain physician is on the physician's list of approved doctors within the network?
This information is located on Blue Cross & Blue Shield web site here or you may come to the Department of Human Resources & Employee Development to review the participating physician’s directory.
- How long does an eligible employee have to be employed before annual leave increases?
1 to 5 years: 10 hours of vacation accrued, 6 to 10 years: 12 hours of vacation accrued, Over 10 years: 14 hours of vacation accrued
- When is leave posted to a monthly employee's leave balance?
Leave is posted at the end of each month. The accrual amount of the previous month is shown on the following month's paycheck.
- If I am out sick and do not have enough sick leave, can I use annual leave, if it is available?
Annual leave can be utilized when an employee's sick leave balance has been exhausted.
- If I take more annual leave that I have accumulated, can I use sick leave?
Sick leave cannot be utilized when the vacation balance has been exhausted.
- How do I quality for leave under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)?
To qualify for FMLA, you must have been employed with Valdosta State University continuously for at least 12 months. FMLA allows eligible employees to take up to 12 workweeks of unpaid leave in a 12 month period for birth, adoption, serious health condition or care for a child, spouse or parent with a serious health condition. For additional information you may visit here and click on employment and then click on employee benefits.