Faculty members may travel at state expense for professional improvement or by specific assignment to fulfill an institutional obligation. Requests for authorization to travel should be submitted on the appropriate forms two weeks prior to the expected date of departure. Such requests require the approval of the Department Head, the Dean or Director of the appropriate College/Division, and the budget officer in the Office of the Vice President for Finance and Administration. Specific authorizations are necessary for individuals making only occasional trips and for all out of state travel. Those who are required to travel regularly in state may receive standing authorization for travel.
The University reimburses for expenses incurred in making approved trips according to the following procedure:
- Expenses must be itemized in detail on the Travel Expense Statement.
- Receipts for hotel bills must be attached to the request for reimbursement.
- Travel by private automobile is reimbursed at the approved rate per mile. The reverse side of the Travel Expense Statement must be completed as to the details of places visited and mileage.
- Transportation by commercial airlines will be by minimum fare service. Ticket stubs must be submitted as evidence of the expenditure.
- Receipts for meals and taxi fare are not required, but such expenditures are expected to remain reasonable.
- There is a daily maximum allowance for food costs which includes tax. When banquets and dinners at association meetings are attended, higher meal costs will be accepted if a receipt is attached to the Travel Expense Statement. Additionally, if expenditures for meals should exceed the daily maximum allowance when traveling in a high cost area, reimbursement can be made if the proper receipts and explanation are included with the Travel Expense Statement.
More information and travel forms may be found on the VSU Financial Travel Website