The Dance Major at VSU
First offered in 2007, the dance major in the Department of Communication Arts is the newest majors in the theatre and dance program. It is also the only BFA dance degree program in south Georgia. Students pursuing a BFA in dance learn the theory and performance of dance in areas such as ballet, modern, tap, jazz, and social dance as well as the history of dance, choreography, and dance education. The program of study provides a rigorous and well-rounded foundation in dance. Students graduating with a degree in dance are prepared to enter the profession as performers, choreographers, and educators, or for graduate study in dance.
Important forms for dance majors:
The Dance Minor at VSU
The dance minor is designed for students wishing to enhance their skills in and knowledge of dance. While open to all VSU students, this minor is particularly attractive to theatre majors seeking to extend their skills and potential for employment following graduation. This is an eighteen-minor with a variety of options in terms of course selection. Auditions are not required.
Admission to the Dance Major and Scholarship Availability
Students seeking to pursue the dance major are admitted by audition before the dance faculty.
- The Audition: During the audition, which is a two hour dance class, combinations in varying styles of dance will be taught, and auditionees will perform the combinations in small groups. Potential majors will also be interviewed in order to discuss their career goals and ask questions about the degree program.
- Scholarships: are available for dance majors through an additional audition, during which prospective majors will present a short solo in a genre of their choice.
Opportunities for Professional Development
- VSU Repertory Dancers - The VSU Repertory Dancers is a performing ensemble founded by Professor Eric Nielsen in 1986. The ensemble has over 200 dances in the repertoire, which have been recorded on video tape for restaging purposes. Each year the VSU dance faculty creates new dances for the dance ensemble as well as restaging works from the repertoire. Selected works from the repertoire have also been restaged for concerts nationally and internationally. Video Clips
- VSU Ballroom Dance Club -- The VSU Ballroom Dance Club is open to all VSU students in an effort to promote and extend the benefits of ballroom dance throughout the university and surrounding community. The club hopes to sponsor a competition team to represent VSU at intercollegiate ballroom dancing competitions.
- American College Dance Festival
- Musical theatre performances staged by the Theatre & Dance Program
- An annual collaborative classical ballet production
Networking and Learning from Professionals
The VSU dance program and faculty are dedicated to training professionals. One way that this in accomplished is with the Pro-Conn program (Professional Connections). Pro-Conn involves bringing professionals to campus to give workshops, advice, and answer questions about the reality of the dance industry and to provide our dance majors with opportunities to audition, learn from, and network with these professionals. Additionally, biennial trips are planned to major markets for intensive workshops and networking opportunities as well as experiencing a metropolitan environment.