CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS
The Center for International Programs provides central coordination for the University’s comprehensive range of services and activities in the area of international education. Campus-wide committees, open to all faculty and staff members, work with the Center for International Programs to achieve the following objectives:
- Strengthen the international dimension of the curriculum by assuring that international issues, problems, and perspectives are appropriately represented in courses, major degree programs, and minor studies;
- Enrich the international dimension of the co-curricular climate by sponsoring internationally oriented lectures, artistic activities, seminars, and thematic events with an international focus;
- Provide international experiences for students and faculty by initiating and sponsoring study abroad programs and exchange agreements with foreign colleges and universities and by cooperating with external organizations and agencies that support teaching, study, and research activities abroad for faculty and students;
- Encourage the involvement of international students and scholars in the life of the University through the provision of comprehensive support services for international students and faculty and the promotion of Valdosta State as a welcoming environment for foreign scholars and students; and
- Heighten global awareness and understanding in the region of south Georgia by bringing together resources of the University and community in educational and civic programs for the general public and maintaining strong linkages with other institutions in the region.
Among its many activities, the Center for International Programs administers an International Studies Minor, coordinates study abroad and exchange opportunities for faculty and students, oversees support services for international students, maintains a World-Wide Web home page, and organizes community events and lecture series on international themes. More information on international activities of the university is available in the Center for International Programs, located at 204 Georgia Avenue, or online at www.valdosta.edu/cip.
Study Abroad Opportunities
Valdosta State University offers a variety of study abroad and exchange programs. Summer programs are offered directly by the University, with VSU faculty as group leaders and in cooperation with other institutions and organizations in providing group study abroad experiences. Students may also participate in exchange programs which allow them to attend overseas universities as regular students for a semester or an academic year. These bilateral exchange opportunities are currently available in UK, Belize, China, Czech Republic, France, Hungary, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Spain and other countries. VSU is also a member of the International Student Exchange Program, ISEP, through which students may choose from over 100 universities world-wide for study abroad experiences. When participating in an exchange, students typically pay VSU tuition, dormitory, and dining hall fees to cover instruction, room, and board at a host institution abroad.
International Student Advisor
A full-time international student advisor provides support services to the international student community at Valdosta State University. This advisor, located in the Center for International Programs, 204 Georgia Avenue, assists international students in their VSU inquiries and applications, obtaining visas and maintaining immigration status, provides orientation to new arrivals into the university and community life, assists and advises the VSU Society for International Students, organizes special activities for international and domestic students, and offers cultural counseling.
VSU International Initiatives
- International Student Serevices and Exchange Programs
- VSU Study Abroad Programs
- USG European Council and other Area Studies initiatives
- Brown Senior Scholars Award for International Faculty
- International Academic Partnerships
- English Language Institute
- International Studies Minor Degree
- International Advisory Council and Committees
- Faculty Internationalization Fund support for VSU faculty
- Fulbright Program and other federal agencies sponsored activities