VSU faculty members may travel abroad to work at a VSU partner institution abroad. An "exchange" does not necessarily imply an exact, simultaneous exchange with someone in the same discipline at the same time. Exchange is a general term, used to describe a variety of arrangements under which a faculty member may spend time at a foreign partner institution teaching, conducting research, or collaborating on curriculum development. Sometimes, exchanges are arranged so that a VSU faculty member essentially changes places with a colleague abroad at the same time and in the same discipline. More commonly, an exchange experience involves spending a semester or portion of a semester abroad, without an exchange counterpart coming to VSU. Opportunities for exchange currently exist at institutions in Russia, the United kingdom, the Chech Republic, China, Hungary, and Belize. The specific institutions where exchange may currently be arranged are listed below.
Approval of an exchange is ultimately in the hands of both the academic units at VSU and the university where the faculty member would like to go.
Conditions for Faculty Exchange
1. Faculty on approved exchanges remain on full salary and benefits from VSU; exchange is an assignment, not a leave of absence.
2. Funding for roundtrip travel to the exchange site is provided through the Faculty Internationalization Fund; proposals have to be submitted on standard forms available through the Center for International Programs. One form is used for obtaining funding and official approval of the exchange.
3. Partner institutions provide housing for exchange professors. Conditions of support vary, depending on the particular exchange agreement. Some partner institutions provide for stipends to cover living expenses; at others only housing is provided.
4. Faculty exchange participants are responsible for all costs other than those specified, including passport and visa expenses, any health precautions that must be taken, and in-country travel.
5. Each exchange is arranged through the Center for International Programs and negotiated on a case-by-case basis.
Steps in Applying for Faculty Exchange
Partner Institutions with VSU
- Syktyvkar State University - Syktyvkar, Russia;
- University of Sunderland - Sunderland, England
- University of Paisley - Paisley, Scotland
- Toulouse Business School - Toulouse, France
- Esterhazy Karoly College - Eger, Hungary
- Palacky University - Olomouc, Czech Republic
- University of la Serena - La Serena, Chile
- Yangzhou University - Yangzhou, China
- Kansai Gaidai - Kansai Gaidai, Japan
- J.F.Oberlin University - Tokyo, Japan
- Tama University - Machida, Japan
- Otemon University - Otemon, Japan
- University of Northumbria - Newcastle, England
- University of Roehampton - Roehampton, England
- University of Education - Karlsruhe, Germany
- Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences - Karlsruhe, Germany
- ZeppelinUniversity - Friedrichshafen, Germany
- Daegu Haany University - South Korea
- Dongguk University - Seoul, South Korea
- Autonomous University of the Yucatan - Merida, Mexico
- Samara State University - Samara, Russia
- Samara State University of Economics - Samara, Russia
- Barcelona Business School - Barcelona, Spain
- Abant Izzet Baysal University - Bolu, Turkey
- Yeditepe University - Istanbul, Turkey
- International Student Exchange Program (ISEP)