Welcome to the Center for International Programs
The Center for International Programs provides institution-wide coordination for the University’s comprehensive range of programs, services and activities in the area of international education.
Welcome New International Students! Spring semester orientation starts on January 3rd
NEWS & Announcements:
The 37th Annual International Dinner will take place Saturday, April 20th, at 6pm, in the VSU Student Union Ballrooms. Tickets will be on sale at the VSU Center for International Programs (Located at 204 Georgia Avenue). For more information please visit the 37th Annual International Dinner website.
New Brown Senior Scholars for Spring 2013
Our new Brown Senior Scholars for Spring 2013 are Dr. Edward Muya from Kenyatta University, the premier academic institution of Kenya (host Department of MLIS) and Dr. Maria Shatalina from Moscow City Pedagogical University, Samara campus (host Department of Psychology & Counseling).
- Valdosta State University and VienDong College, Ho Chi Ming City, Vietnam are working on the start up of a collaborative 2+2 year program that will allow Vietnamese students to transfer to VSU to complete their bachelor degrees. Dr. Robert Yehl from the Department of Political Science is back from a 10-day visit assisting our colleagues in Vietnam. For more details click here to link to the VDC site..
- Valdosta State University (VSU) and the GLOBALEDU - South Korea have agreed to collaborate on international student recruitment in China and South Korea. GLOBALEDU will assist future students both academically and logistically to meet the VSU admission requirements and with the process of transition.
- Our current Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) is Aliya Alsadi, Arabic instructor from Oman;
- Other critical languages offered at CIP include Chinese ( instructor Jiang Xiaoying , or "Jesse" from Yangzhou University, China) and Russian ( instructor Natalia Shakina from the city of Tomsk in Siberia, Russian Federation ) and Japanese language and culture classes - instructor Mrs. Sugako Starling. Student interest is growing, classes are credited by the Department of Modern and Classical Languages.
- in the academic 2012/12, including Summer 2012, 188 VSU students and over 30 faculty members participated in study abroad programs.
- VSU is a home for over 370 international students from 65countries; For details go to the site of the Society of International Students
Visiting International Scholars
- VSU hosts multiple international visitors from partner institutions around the world.
Global Opportunities for VSU Faculty
- In FY 2012 24 faculty have been sponsored by the Faculty Internationalization Fund to present at international conferences, exhibits, teach and conduct research abroad;
- Fulbright program and other global opportunities -come and discuss with Dr. Ivan Nikolov
Calendar of International Events
Spring 2013 Schedule
Brown Scholars Spring 2012
Drs. Elizabeth Hermes from Karlsruhe University of Education, Germany and Isaac Kigongo-Bukenya from Mekerere University, Uganda, returned back home after spending their Spring 2012 semester as Brown Scholars at VSU, respectively with the departments of English and MLIS. Dr. Wallace Koehler, Chair of MLIS visited with Dr. Bukenya recently at a conference in Uganda. Both colleagues work on a collaborative librarian education network between a consortium of U.S. and African universities.
The 36th International Students Dinner on April 21st was a smashing success! Thank you, Lauren Braun, SIS officers, sponsors, community members, and all particpants!
Brown Scholars Spring 2011
- The recipients of the 2010/11 VSU L. Brown Scholar Award Dr. Mihaly Mozes from our partner university in Eger, Hungary was hosted by the Department of History and Dr. Panayot Karagiozov from Sofia University, Bulgaria was hosted jointly by Department of Political Science and the Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies. Both have successfully completed their respective studies and returned home. It has been an honor to have these distinguished scholars and academic leaders (deans) at their respective institutions here at VSU. Farewell and best wishes to both of them!