History of Department
The Biology department and/or Biology classes have been active since South Georgia State Normal College opened in 1913 as a two year school for teachers. An act of the Legislature changed the name in 1922 to South Georgia Woman’s College and four year programs were offered. It is believed James R. Stokes, professor of Biology and French, was the first person to guide the department in 1926-1934. During the late 1930’s the Biology department was guided by Beatrice Nevins (1937-1968) and Marjorie Carter (1937-1963). Other significant names associated with the department are Clyde Connell (1951-1981), Wayne Faircloth (1961-1993) , and Dave Bechler (1996-2005). The current head of the department is Dr. Robert Gannon. Biology moved into a new $23 million dollar science building in April 2001. An endowed annual lecture series to honor Dr. Clyde Connell was initiated in 1986. The Master’s graduate program was approved in Spring, 2005 by the Board of Regents and began accepting students the following Fall semester.