Biology Department Advising FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who is my advisor?
2. Where can I find my advisor? Check the following:
3. What should I do to prepare for my Advising Week appointment?
4. How can I change my advisor?
Simply come to the Biology Department Office and tell us whom you would like for an advisor and the change will be made.
5. How do I change majors?
1. Pick up a change of major form and your student file from the Biology Department .
2. Get the appropriate signatures, authorizing the change of major.
3. Take the student file and change of major form to your new department.
6. Where can I find a University Catalog or Bulletin?
The Admissions Office and/or it may be accessed online.
7. How do I apply for graduation?
1. Pick up an application for graduation from the University Registrar.
2. Pick up your student file from the Biology Department Office.
3. Meet with your advisor to discuss the remaining course requirements needed to graduate.
4. Complete the application for degree form and have your advisor sign it.
5. Pay graduation fees at the University Bursary.
6. Take the receipt of payment and graduation application to the Registrar's Office.
8. I want to take a class at another college or university. What should I do?
Be sure that the course(s) you wish to take will substitute for the VSU course(s). We suggest that you have a course description of the course(s) you wish to substitute when you meet with your advisor, department head, and the Admissions Office. After you get a course description, do the following:
1. Pick up the Transient Permission Form from the Registrar or Student
2. Complete sections I.a - I.d (except the shaded area marked "Office Use Only").
3. Contact your advisor and discuss your plans to enroll as a transient at another institution.
4. Check with the Registrar or the SAC to be sure you will not exceed the maximum number of transfer hours that can be applied to your degree.
5. Obtain your advisor's signature.
6. Obtain your Department Head's signature.
7. If you are on academic suspension, you must obtain the approval of the Dean.
8. Take the form to the Admissions Office for evaluation of the proposed transient courses.
9. Return the form to the Registrar.
You must request an official transcript from the transient institution to be sent to the Office of Admissions. Credit will not be posted to your record until the transcript has been received. Remember, paying VSU fees will not cover fees at the transient Institution.