request for a grade of incomplete
According to the Valdosta State University catalogue, “A report of I (incomplete) indicates that a student was doing satisfactory work at the end of the term but, for non-academic reasons, was unable to complete all requirements for the course. A report of I requires the subsequent completion of all course requirements within a time limit specified by the instructor, not to exceed one calendar year from the end of the term in which a grade of incomplete is assigned, regardless of the student’s enrollment status during the period specified for completion. Students are responsible for making arrangements with their instructor for completion of course requirements within the time specified, in accordance with this regulation. If an I is not changed to a letter grade within one calendar year, it will be changed to the grade F [or U, if appropriate].”
*This policy does not apply to the grade of IP (in progress) which is assigned for courses scheduled for more than one semester.
It is the student’s responsibility to request that a grade of “I” be assigned for a class. To request a grade of incomplete, students should use the following process:
(1) The student should complete the student section of the “Request for Assigning a Grade of Incomplete” form and submit it to the instructor.
(2) If the instructor chooses to allow the incomplete, the instructor and student will complete the remaining section, sign the form, obtain the department head’s signature, and submit the form to the Registrar’s Office.
(3) The form should be submitted to the Registrar’s Office before the instructor submits final grades.*
(4) If the paperwork for an incomplete has been submitted, the grade of I will appear on the final grade sheet in BANNER. “I” will not be an option on the instructor’s final grade sheet.*
(5) That grade of “I” may remain on the student’s unofficial transcript for up to one calendar year; however the Registrar’s Office will send reminders at the midterm of each semester. When the coursework is completed (or if the student fails to complete the required work), the instructor must submit a change of grade form to the Registrar’s Office. If no change of grade form is submitted, the Registrar’s Office will change the grade to F after one calendar year.
* If a situation arises where it is not possible for the student and instructor to complete the form before the submission of final grades, the instructor should contact the Registrar’s Office via email to request assigning the “I.” The instructor and student should then complete the appropriate paperwork as quickly as possible.
Students should remember that they should keep attending class, if possible, until the paperwork for the “I” is submitted. Additionally, their graduation dates will be adjusted if their incompletes are not resolved by their projected graduation date.
If your request for an incomplete has been approved, please do not re-register for the same course again as it could have adverse effects on your academic record. Contact the Registrar's Office for further explanation.